Valentine’s Day tends to focus people’s attention on their breath a little more, but here at New Age Dental, we’d like you to enjoy fresh breath year-round, and with it excellent dental health. Sometimes persistent bad breath is a sign of something more worrisome. Potential causes can include dry mouth, untreated tooth decay or gum disease, poor oral hygiene, tobacco use and some medical conditions.
Easy Tips to Keep Your Breath Sweet
- Drink plenty of water to keep saliva flowing or chew sugar-free gum to decrease dry mouth.
- Avoid foods that can cause bad breath such as garlic and onions, but if you do indulge, be aware that it can take up to 72 hours for these foods to be eliminated from your body, during which time your breath will smell.
- Brush your tongue using your toothbrush or a special tongue scraper as it can harbour lots of noxious smelling bacteria.
- Quit smoking or using any tobacco products, and you’ll improve your breath and your dental and general health.
- Visit us regularly and especially if you’re concerned about bad breath. We can make sure you don’t have any dental issues that can cause bad breath and will professionally clean your teeth. If we can’t find any reason for bad breath, we may offer you a more specialised referral.